Did you know that for every extra pound of weight you carry, it is four additional pounds of stress on your joints? According to the CDC 4 out of 10 people are obese and 48% set a New Year's resolution to lose weight. By the end of only the first month, less than half have already broken their resolution.
Below we have provided tips to help prevent you from falling victim to this holiday seasons Quarantine15 (lbs), help you protect your joints and begin your journey to your YOU year.
8 Tips To Prevent Falling Victim To The “Quarantine 15" (lbs)
And To Create the NEW YOU 2021
1) Stay active. Take this time to find a fun physical activity that everyone can enjoy together. It can be as simple as a family walk or hike, or as strenuous as a run. Anything to help get your mind off of those delicious treats!
2) Pick healthy snacks. Keep healthy snack options available like veggies and humus or guacamole, instead of cookies and cakes. When your hungry try to reach for some fruit, nuts, or even just a glass of water to curb hunger.
3) Portion Control. It is easy to fill a big plate of food, but try switching to a smaller plate to keep portion sizes down. To determine what a portion size is, read the food label and try to measure the proper amount when possible.
4) Sleep. A lack of sleep can unbalance our hormones, including ones that control hunger and satiation. If you're not sleeping well, it can lead to an increase in hunger and caloric intake.
5) Stress. Holidays can be a stressful time for most, so it is important to have proper stress relief techniques in place such as exercise, journaling, or meditation. When we become stressed, we produce a hormone called cortisol, which can increase our cravings for sweet and junk foods.
6) Balanced meals. It is important to have balanced meals with protein, healthy carbohydrates, good fats and a source of fiber to keep you feeling fuller longer. This helps to maintain a healthy metabolism, prevent a "spike" in blood sugar levels and weight gain. When it comes to desserts, pick your favorite one and skip the rest.
7) Liquid calories. Holiday season means holiday drinks, but these can add up in calories and sugar very quickly. When choosing a holiday drink, stick with water, unsweetened drinks, and limit your alcohol intake.
8) Schedule an appointment with Dr. Joelle Fox, NMD. The tips listed above are a great start to prevent the "Quarantine 15," but there are other factors that could be contributing to weight gain. Schedule a 15-minute call with Dr. Fox to discuss other treatment options to aid in your weight loss journey and the year of YOU!
Start Today! MAKE 2021 THE "YOU" YEAR
Desert Orthopedic Specialists